The House of the Ara Maxima (also known as the House of Pinarius and the House of Narcissus) is located at Pompeii 6.16.15. and was excavated between 1903 and 1904. This house comprises several rooms located around a central atrium. Sections of an upper floor also survive.
Frescoes elsewhere in the house contain detailed scenes of human figures, animals, floral designs and simple architectural elements.
High up on the west wall of the atrium, and directly facing the visitor as they enter the house, is a fourth-style painted scene consisting of an elaborate, figured architectural structure with a pictorial centrepiece. This study investigates the implied architecture of the fresco design in detail by creating a detailed, 3d model.
Research by Martin Blazeby