The House of the Cryptoporticus, Pompeii (1.6.2) was excavated in 1916.
This large multilevel house takes its name from a large underground connecting passageway with richly decorated walls and window openings allowing for shafts of light to filter through. Adjacent to the underground passageway is a bath complex comprising of a series of small rooms.
Room 20 contains, on its north wall, a relatively well-preserved fresco depicting an architectural structure. The same design layout, though in poorer condition and with different decorative content, appears on the opposite, south, wall. The two frescoes together provide sufficient information to permit the construction of a detailed 3d visualisation of their common architectural design.
Research by Martin Blazeby